Welcome to the Association for General and Applied Microbiology - VAAM
The Association for General and Applied Microbiology (Vereinigung für Allgemeine und Angewandte Mikrobiologie - VAAM) represents about 3,500 microbiologically oriented scientists in Germany.
VAAM promotes the scientific exchange of information and the cooperation of its members with the aim of implementing research results from microbiology for the benefit of society and the environment. VAAM members also serve as valued experts for questions from the public.
Our main activities:
- The Annual Conference in spring, covering all areas of microbiology;
- Symposia organized by the special groups on specific microbiological topics;
- The scientific journal BIOspektrum, published seven times a year and the conference proceedings;
- Academic Awards for excellent research in the field of microbiology and exceptional PhD theses;
- Support for young academics by travel grants and reduced fees for attending the VAAM conferences;
- Cooperation with other related German scientific associations, e.g. DGHM, GASB, GBM, GfG, DECHEMA, and the VBIO (German Life Sciences Association);
- Participation in national and international committees and commissions, e.g. FEMS.