Mikrobielle Viren - Newsletter
Newsletter Juni 2022
Dear microbial virus friends,
Increasing temperatures tell us that the summer is approaching. For many of us it will be for the first time since two years that we can visit international conferences again. So a busy summer lies ahead.
Before our summer travels commence, we would like to bring you up to date with the latest developments in our field:
- We look back at a successful VAAM symposium on Viruses of Microbes at the VAAM yearly meeting in February 2022 entitled: Novel microbial viral defense systems beyond CRISPR-cas, where we had Karin Maxwell as our keynote speaker. Unfortunately the conference took place online, but we look forward to meeting all members of this Special Group in person at another occasion soon.
- The German Phage Symposium did take place in person in Stuttgart-Hohenheim on May 23/24 and was for many the first occasion to meet fellow researchers from the phage field in person. The conference had excellent key note speakers as well as presentations from selected early-career researchers.
- We look forward to several more exciting meetings this summer. First, there will be from July 18-22 the Viruses of Microbes meeting in Guimarães organized by the ISVM (international society for Viruses of Microbes). The meeting is currently fully subscribed, so you can’t enroll anymore. However, for those of us that managed to secure a place, we would like to organize social event at the conference to meet up with the members of our VAAM special interest group. In order to reserve a room for the lunch, we would like to know how many of you would be there on Tuesday 19 or Wednesday 20 and would like to participate at this lunch meeting. Could you please fill in the following doodle: https://terminplaner.dfn.de/qkyx69v1WpheXXSc Thank you for your interest!
- At September 5-7, 2022: our Special group will organize a workshop at the 74. Jahrestagung der Deutschen Gesellschaft für Hygiene und Mikrobiologie (DGHM)with the title: ‘Bacteriophages today: from basic research to patient treatment, Berlin.’ We hope to meet you in Berlin! https://www.dghm-kongress.de/
- A special issue entitled ‘Viruses of Microbes 2022’ in the Journal ‘Viruses’ associated with the Viruses of Microbes meeting in Guimarães has been launched and will be edited by Dann Turner, Karin Holmfeldt and Tessa Quax. The submission deadline is October 31st, 2022. More info: https://www.mdpi.com/journal/viruses/special_issues/VoM2022
Summer time is time in the lab with our tiny friends and we are looking forward to learning more about their fascinating life styles that contribute to the highly diverse microbial world. Enjoy the exchange!
Tessa Quax and Steffi Barbirz